Just Retirement Group to merge with rival annuity firm

Tue, 11 Aug 2015 | MERGER

Annuity firm Just Retirement Group is to undergo an all-share merger with rival Partnership Assurance Group to create a new group called JRP Group.

It is anticipated that the deal will see Just Retirement's shareholders own about 60 per cent of the new group, with the remaining 40 per cent owned by Partnership Assurance.

The new business, which has plans to source £150 million to back its operations, will be headed by Rodney Cook, Just Retirement's present boss, as group chief executive. While Partnership Assurance's current chief executive Steve Groves is set to exit his role when the merger has completed.

Together the businesses, which both specialise in selling medically underwritten annuities, will be able to speed up new product launches and be a stronger front in the retirement income market.

"This transaction represents a unique opportunity to accelerate the existing strategy of both businesses,” Tom Cross Brown, Just Retirement's chairman commented.

“Our two businesses will be bigger, stronger and more efficient together, which we believe will allow us to deliver better returns to both policyholders and shareholders," he added.

Both pension companies were hit by the pension freedom reforms as announced by Chancellor George Osborne in the 2014 Budget. Partnership Assurance's share price dived by 56 per cent and Just Retirement's fell by 42 per cent on the day of the Budget.

Search for a business to buy


Share this article



Latest Businesses for Sale

Outsourced HR Solutions for SMEs
UK Wide

This is an opportunity to acquire a full-service HR consultancy. Built upon a recurring revenue model the business has enjoyed sustained growth, offers significant opportunities to scale and a strong ROI model. Offers invited.

Asking Price: Offers Invited
Turnover: £600,000

Builders Merchant: Hard Landscaping Specialist
Cheshire, North West, UK

In its second generation, this business has supplied hard landscape materials, fencing and other building materials to the trade and individuals for over 40 years. Whether you're re-laying a small path or creating a jaw dropping driveway, this busine...

Asking Price: Offers Invited
Turnover: £683,000

FREEHOLD


Three Branded Fast Food Outlets
Northern Ireland, Northern Ireland, UK

Assets and goodwill of 3 national fast food outlets of a well-known brand. (May be sold in totality or in lots to suit). Opportunity for purchaser to acquire 3 profitable fast food outlet businesses which will require minimal training upon handover a...

Asking Price: £240,000
Turnover: £701,979

LEASEHOLD



View more businesses for sale

News Search

Latest News

 
23
 
Aug
 

Administrators called in for energy technology firm Faraday Grid | ADMINISTRATION

Faraday Grid, an Edinburgh-headquartered energy transformer ...

 
22
 
Aug
 

Welsh technology firm plunges into administration | ADMINISTRATION

Thought to be one of the country’s leading ICT supplie...

 
21
 
Aug
 

Solicitors Title LLP buys Somerset law firm in pre-pack administration | ADMINISTRATION

Somerset-based law firm, Broomhead & Saul LLP, has been save...

Free guide: 10 Biggest Buyer Mistakes

Sign up to receive our acquisition alert emails to get your FREE guide

Email


Want access to the latest businesses for sale?

Business Sale Report is your complete solution to finding great acquisition opportunities.

Join today to receive:

  • Comprehensive range of businesses for sale
  • Make direct contact with business sellers or their intermediaries
  • Access to all UK administrations, liquidations and winding-up petitions
  • Daily email alerts for the latest businesses for sale & distressed notifications
  • Business Sale Report publication posted to you every month
  • Advertise your acquisition requirements on our "business wanted" section

All this and much more, including the latest M&A news and exclusive resources